Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Remington 870 Magpul Stock

Recently I had the opportunity to pick up a Remington 870 Tactical from my not so local gun shop. When I was there I had looked at the 870 that already had the Magpul Stock and Forend, I liked the way that they both felt when holding the shotgun, however I didn't care too much for the price being $349 more than the tactical. So I skipped the 870 that was loaded with the magpul parts and stuck with the basic tactical 870.

Since I had liked the Magpul parts so much I began checking to see how much it would cost me to get them and install them myself, and after doing a little searching around I found that Amazon had the best deal on them (especially if you have Prime). To order both parts it is $135 shipped via 2 day shipping, which for the tactical 870 that I picked up would put it at a total of $485, which isn't too shabby for an extremely reliable shotgun and some awesome Magpul pieces on it.






Installing the stock:

The installation of the stock was extremely easy, I just removed the old factory stock and installed the Magpul stock. Adjusting the length of pull is simple, there is a screw on the left hand side of the stock that you remove and then pull the rubber butt plate back and out, there are 4 total "spacers" that take the L.O.P from 12.5" to 14.5". While the spacers don't blend into each other it doesn't bother me since they are only there for function.

First impressions:

I will say that my first impressions when removing the Magpul stock from the factory box were that it was solid and very well made. When compared to some other plastic/polymer stocks that I have seen at stores the Magpul is built like a tank, it has some weight to it but not so much that it is an inconvenience  or annoying. I am very pleased with the finish of the stock, and I feel that it is on par with every other Magpul item I have owned.

Range time with the stock:

Last week I had the opportunity to run out to the range a run around 50 or so shells through it with the new stock installed. Even though I need to add one more spacer to stock it still felt great, the butt pad that comes with it does a great job of absorbing the recoil. I ran a few slugs and a lot of bulk federal shells, and the amount of recoil that I felt with this Magpul stock was significantly less than what I had felt with the factory stock.

The cheek weld that I have using it with the standard front bead is perfect, but I am sure that if I toss on a rail and a red dot I will want to add one of the cheek riser setups that they offer. For now though the way that it is setup works just fine.


2 comments:

  1. I have the same Magpul SGA stock on my Remington 870. It is extremely good and rock-solid. I really like it. Also, it has so many sling attachment points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, the price had me a bit weary of buying it but after taking it out of the box, installing it and shooting it, it really does make a huge difference. Best accessory I have ever purchased!!!

    ReplyDelete