Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

First Impressions of the FNH FNS-9

Out of the multiple handguns that I have owned since moving to Oklahoma in 2010 it has taken me awhile to find something that I like as much as the first gun I ever purchased, which was a Sig Sauer P226. It is like I have heard said many times, there is just something about a Sig.

In the long list of guns that I have owned since I sold the P226 there have been Glock's, M&P's, a Shield, Bodyguard, and a few others, all of which have either been traded or sold in pursuing something I like better. I still own my M&P9 that has the Apex Trigger upgrade done to it and I love using it at the range, but at the same time do not like using it as a concealed carry pistol because of the trigger upgrade.

I was at my usual gun shop one day and they had an FNH FNS-9 that someone had traded in, and I had heard a few things about the FNS but had not seen one in person yet, so I figured I would give it a closer look. When they handed it to me in the shop I was quite impressed with the way that it felt in my hands, I also felt like it pointed very naturally for me. Needless to say I found myself wanting one, but not wanting to buy someone else's problems I opted to have the shop order me one that was brand new.

After waiting a couple weeks for the gun to arrive at the shop I finally was able to pick it up, but because the gun shop that I use is in Oklahoma City which is an hour and a half away I had to wait a couple days to be able to take it out to the range. So I did like I do with every other firearm I bring home, I field stripped it and cleaned off all of the factory oil and got it ready to be warmed up and apply Frog Lube to it.


Tear down is very similar to the S&W M&P's, with just one little trick that took me a second to figure out, and that was when you move the slide forward you need to put your thumb on the back and give it just a little more push to get it over the detent for the safety. Which is actually nice if your hand accidentally slips in the process your slide won't jolt forward.

After I finished applying the Frog Lube paste and letting it dry to the point that I could rub off the excess it was ready to go to the range the next day. Having very little time to spend at the range I only took 50 rounds with me so I could get a feel for how the FNS shoots and what I was going to have to do to get used to using the european sighting (actually putting your front sight on what you want to hit).

Along with the FNS I took our M&P9 that has the Apex trigger kit installed so I could compare the two. I also took my wife with since she enjoys shooting and I also like to make sure that she is familiar with every weapon that is in our house.


I must admit that the stock trigger on a brand new FNS9 is a bit more stiff than one that is pre-owned but I know that over time the trigger will wear in and be closer to that of the pre owned one I had messed with at the store. Yet running through a quick session with it I did not feel that the trigger was bad at all, actually it was much better than the stock one that had been in the M&P, the reset is very pronounced and the pull is not super long.

I should also point out that the mags are very slick and drop freely with out any hang ups.

The night sights that are installed on the FNS are very nice quality, and are very easy to use in full light and low light environments. It does take a little getting used to using european sighting but for me I have always had an easier time with that style anyways.



Overall I really like the FNS9 so far, and I am sure as time goes on and I get more range time with it that I will like it even more. I am glad that even though it is a bigger handgun in size that I can still conceal it for everyday carry and it is still comfortable at the end of the day. I plan on giving updates as time goes on and more rounds have been run through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment