Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

ODIN Works K-Mod Handguard

Now that I have had the ODIN Works K-Mod 15.5" Handguard installed on the SpartanTC test rifle for 3 months I have decided it was time to go ahead and write down my thoughts on it.


One of the first things that I noticed when out shooting with the K-Mod installed was that even after a running 150-200 rounds through the rifle in a very short period of time, the handguard was only slightly warm to the touch. If ammo and money were a little more readily available I would love to do a 500-600 round dump as fast as possible just to see how hot the handguard gets, because I am confident it would still be much cooler than some of the others out there on the market.

While the KeyMod idea/option is still new on the market there are a few pieces to use on it. I was fortunate enough to receive a picatinny rail section for mounting a light or a forward grip, and also the ODIN Works low profile bipod mount (K-Pod). 

One thing that I have learned about the KeyMod mounting is that you have to use loctite or really crank down on the screws to keep them from backing out. I personally prefer to use loctite since cranking them down usually leads to rounded out Allen head screws.

The ODIN Works K-Pod is by far the lowest profile bipod mount I have seen in person, it keeps the bipod very close to the handguard.


As far as the weight of the handguad is concerned, it is one of the lighter handguards that I have used on an AR. Lane has the Strike Industries MegaFin 15" handguard installed on his AR and with both rifles stripped down they are within ounces of each other. 

Even though it is very lightweight it does not sacrifice strength. ODIN Works is so confident in the strength of their K-Mod handguards that they used them to hold up a vehicle, and they also ran one over with a truck. Needless to say I was impressed.


While I have yet to do anything crazy with mine, the pictures and videos from ODIN Works are proof enough to me that you can beat the crap out of the handguards and they would just take it and keep going.

Overall I am very impressed with the quality of the K-Mod Handguard, and even more so with the awesome customer service that ODIN Works offers. It is great to know that there are companies out there still that put out a great product, and are still very involved in providing stellar customer service.

I highly recommend getting the K-Mod Handguard if you are in the market, the price point is reasonable, and there are plenty of options for the length. They are also working on making additional bolt on parts for the K-Mod so you won't just have a handguard and no way to mount anything. 

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them in the comments section below or send us an email and we will do our best to answer them.

1 comment:

  1. They also ran over one with a tank, but we won't go into how that went down. haha!

    ReplyDelete