Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Every Day Belts (EDB)

When I first started concealed carrying I had this flimsy old belt, and when I say old I mean I had it for over 10 years, and it really didn't hold up to the weight of an OWB holster. So I began my search for a belt that would work for my every day carry and for work purposes.

The first belt that I picked up was the Blackhawk CQB/Riggers Belt, one of the reasons that I picked it up was the price, at $27 shipped from Amazon.com it was a hard one to pass up. As far as a "starter" belt for EDC or even range use the Blackhawk CQB belt actually fits very well into that category.



Fit- The Blackhawk is extremely adjustable in size compared to some of the other EDC belts that are out on the market right now, I ordered the medium and with a 34" waist there is plenty of room in the adjustment to go to a larger or smaller size.

Finish- While the Blackhawk is on the lower end of the price range compared to other companies out there, it is put together fairly well, the stitching is uniform and not sloppy. The buckle and D-ring are both very sturdy, the buckle adjusts easily and holds steady once you are set to the size you need.





Some things that I have noticed when wearing the Blackhawk, first the buckle does not sit nearly as flat as I would like for it to, it seems to cause an awkward looking "bulge" where it sits. Second the end of the belt when attached to the velcro can sometimes poke up and rub against your side, if you don't have an undershirt on or have your shirt tucked in this can become a bit irritating.

Overall I think that for someone looking for a "budget" riggers belt the Blackhawk CQB/Riggers Belt would fit the bill just fine.

My other belt is the Cobra Riggers Belt from Original S.O.E. this belt was quite a bit more in price but when compared to the Blackhawk belt you can quickly see the reasons. The O.S.O.E belt shows a much higher quality of craftsmanship, the stitching is extremely uniform, and is made of a much higher quality thread than the Blachkhawk. It also has comes with a quick disconnect buckle that makes it much easier for daily use than the pull through tension style of the Blackhawk.



The O.S.O.E. Cobra belt is a much stiffer belt thanks to the velcro backing that is sewn into it. Having the extra stoutness to it makes it much more comfortable when carrying both a gun holster and a magazine pouch. It seems to hold up very well to the added weight, where the Blackhawk belt does not.

Fit- While not as adjustable as the Blackhawk there is still room for you to order it slightly smaller and just let it out a bit if you are not near your ideal weight (like myself), and this in no way hinders the way that the belt feels when you are wearing it.

Finish- Out of the few belts that I have owned I will give OSOE top marks on the quality of the Cobra belt, the stitching is perfect and the quality of the materials is top grade. The buckle is comfortable and extremely functional, allowing adjustments to be made while still maintaining quick disconnect ability.




If you are looking for an every day belt that is on the lower end of the price scale I would not hesitate in suggesting the Blackhawk CQB Belt as it fits the bill, while still giving you a sturdy enough belt to carry your holster. Yet in my own opinion if you are willing to save up the money and wait a little bit longer any of the belts from Original S.O.E. are worth the wait and spending just a little bit more on.


No comments:

Post a Comment