Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Average Gun Guy .300BLK AR-15

For those of you who may not have seen the video on the YouTube channel, this is the Average Gun Guy "Average Joe 300 Blackout". 


Specs:
300 Blackout Stainless Steel Ultralight Barrel
Odin Free Float Handguard with QD Mount points
U.S. Arms Polymer Lower with standard LPK
A3 Mil Spec Upper Receiver
T6 Collapsible Stock with QD Mount Points
Ambidextrous Charging Handle
EXO Treated BCG with Bumper Technology
OCTGear Reflex red/green sight
Flashlight/Laser Combo



As you can see in the pictures it's a pretty decent looking rifle, the contrast of the stainless barrel under the Odin Handguard looks great. The quality of the upper is great also, and some of the parts that come on it would normally be considered upgrades so seeing them on it is a bonus. 


The stock isn't bad, but it also isn't the best. It doesn't lock up as well as I would like, but it's at least comfortable to shoulder. 

I was also not a big fan of the OCTGear reflex sight, a basic set of irons or flip ups would be great for this rifle. The reason I say this is because I feel it is important to learn to shoot with your iron sights that way you do not become dependent on something that could end up with a dead battery or loose wire. However, there is an optic included in this package, which is more then can be said for many of the other "optics ready" AR's out there.


I am still not a fan of polymer lowers for non .22LR rifles. Yes I know there are plenty out there that have held up to numerous torture tests and abuses, but I have also seen others that have failed. I believe we will see an improvement in technology over time that will make them extremely rugged, but that is still in the future.

With that said, the US Arms polymer lower is a pretty good looking polymer lower. It seems sturdy and would probably take a good amount of abuse (since its not my rifle and a loaner I decided I would be nice to it). The quality of fit and finish are good, and I didn't notice any major flaws in it.


If you read the review I did on the Iron Hammer Armory .300BLK upper you will know I really like the Odin Handguards, so seeing them on the AGG upper was cool.


The addition of an Ambi Charging Handle is great, the larger latch used on the one made it easy to get a positive grab on the handle. Also unlike some other "Ambi" or extended latches out there this one is well made and does not flex when being used.

 

  

The EXO coated BCG was also great to see in the package, it feels very slick and slides smoothly into the upper. This was the first time that I had seen a BCG with the bumper technology, and while it does look a bit gimmicky it does help reduce "felt" recoil. When I say reduce, I mean that it decreases the amount of felt recoil by a small amount. Now I am sure that with the larger rounds it would help out, but the blackout has such a slight kick in the first place.

The BCG is put together very well, and I couldn't find any flaws with it when I was checking it over. The EXO coating also made cleaning the BCG easy, just a quick wipe off and it was clean and ready to go.

Overall the rifle was a lot of fun to shoot out at the range. Even though we weren't able to do accuracy testing due to limited ammo supply, it was hitting the 12" steel target out at 100 yards (after we figured out holdover). 



For me there are things that I would change about the overall rifle, I think there are great things about it; but there are also things that I feel could be much better. 

However with that being said, it is a good rifle overall. The parts all work together well, and where it lacks for some parts it makes up in others. Back that with the great customer support from Average Gun Guys, and you have yourself a pretty good combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment