Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Lucid HD7 gen 3

I have been running the Lucid HD7 gen 3 in flat dark earth (also available in black)  on my Smith and Wesson M&P AR15 for about 3 months now. I cannot even begin to express how impressed I am with this red dot. I didn't have the money to spend on an Aimpoint or EOTech so I had to find another option. I had considered a Vortex Strikefire since I had used one on a friend's rifle. My turn off to that optic was the battery. I didn't want some weird or expensive battery that was hard to find. The Lucid takes a single AAA battery (located in the front) that lasts 1000 on high or up to 5000 hours on low. I purchased my Lucid locally for an ironic total of $223

HD7 (GEN III)
As you can see it has a similar profile as the Trijicon ACOG but obviously functions much different.
here are the specs on the Lucid:
• Cast Aluminum Frame
• Chemical Rubber Armor
• Lower 1/3 Co-Witness
• 13mm Mounting Nuts
• Reversible Mounting Pins
• Reticles based on a (2MOA) dot
• Weight: 13oz
• Waterproof & Fogproof
• Shockproof (.458 SOCOM)
• Auto Brightness Sensor 
• Auto Shut Off (2 hour) 
• 7 Brightness Levels
• Battery: 1, AAA (Not Included)
• Easy Access, Leashed Battery Cap
• Capped1/2 MOA Adjustments
• Parallax Free
• 34mm Objective Lens
• 20mm Ocular Lens
• FOV: 35ft @ 100yds 
• 1x Unlimited Eye Relief
• Picatinny Rail Mount Built-In
• Available 2x Magnifier
• Available QD Mounting Kit 
• Available Kill Flash filter
• Available Leashed Turret Caps
• Limited Lifetime Warranty

The outside is a rubberized "armor" 

below is the lower 1/3 co-witness 

 below is the reticle selector

 One feature that surprised me was the square bolts that fit in between the rail sections. They make for a snug fit that will not move. Coupled with the lock washers it is like a vise on your rail.





Just behind the elevation turret is a photocell that changes brightness according to your current lighting conditions. When you initially turn it on it is in the auto brightness mode, press the power button one more time and it will flash and switch to adjustable steady brightness. Should you be in low light (like a dark house) and shooting into brighter conditions, the reticle will probably wash out. That is one thing to consider.

I have been incredibly pleased with this optic and will continue to use it for everything from home defense to hunting.

You can find it on their website http://mylucidgear.com/reddotsights.php

-ShipLane


1 comment: