Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Windham Weaponry AR-15

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Windham Weaponry AR-15 to use as the new SpartanTC Reviews test rifle. I had been looking for something that was a K.I.S.S. rifle that would be close to the average AR-15 that is used by most readers. 

       (Shown with B5 Systems Stock)

After seeing these AR's at Wal-Mart I did a little bit of research to find out what they were all about. I was surprised to see that they are manufactured by a group of  Bushmaster employees who started their own business when the factory was moved from their town. It is always cool to see when new business are started out of necessity, such as people not wanting to move from their hometown.

When I first picked up this rifle at the shop I was impressed with how well it was put together. Sure there were a couple parts that I knew I would be replacing right away, but for those who are looking for a rifle they can pick up and take out to the range this rifle fit the bill. I lucked out since this one came with flip up iron sights, which do not come on the models I have seen at Wal-Mart, so that was a nice upgrade to see. 

When I was checking the rifle over because it was used, I was impressed to see that the finish was nice and the upper and lower fit together snug. The fact that the gas block was rail height and not the shorter style was also a bonus. The reason I say this is because I have had railed gas blocks that sat lower than the receiver which requires a "gas block height" front sight or you will end up with your sight post sticking up almost out of the sight. 

The rifle is 5.56 which is great since there have been other rifles I have seen on the market in the same price range that are .223 only. The barrel is a 1:9, while I prefer 1:7 or 1:8, this barrel will do just fine for being used as a test rifle. 

The buffer tube and stock that come on the rifle are commercial spec, but they are well made. These were 2 of the pieces that I replaced, mainly because I prefer the B5 systems stocks over the typical "carbine" stocks.

One of the other items I pulled off of the rifle right away was the bird cage muzzle device, with all of the compensators we have been sent for testing this is one part that will constantly be changing. 

     (Strike Industries J-Comp Installed)

Overall I am impressed with the rifle so far, when I took it out to the range this past weekend it functioned flawlessly. I am really looking forward to seeing how well it holds up to all of the trips out and the classes I am planning to take over the next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment