Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

MyGunDB Initial Review

I was recently contacted by Alan Ellis to check out and review a Firearms Database program that he created, called MyGunDB.  Of course I said yes.  I went to the website to see what the program was all about and to see what others have been saying about it.  The website is clean, simple to navigate, and provides basic info about the program, along with several screenshots to help you understand what the program itself looks like.  After browsing the site for several minutes, I was definitely intrigued.  I downloaded the full program and started exploring.

Here are my initial thoughts on MyGunDB:

First thing that I noticed about the program was how easy it is to navigate.  There is nothing complicated about it.  Everything is pretty self explanatory which is one thing that I always look for in new programs.  It only took me all of ten minutes to figure out what each tab did and how to enter and change information as I needed.

I started with the Firearm Data tab which has several sub tabs that allow you to put in a massive amount of information about each individual firearm that you own.  Details like brand, model, serial number, caliber all fall under the initial information that you input when adding a new firearm to the inventory. The cool thing about this is that after you have input the information it brings up a running list of the firearms you have in a column to the left, which you can click on and it will take you directly to the info for the gun you have chosen.  Other things like barrel length, twist rate, sights, etc. can also be input into the system, which when you have more than one of a specific firearm and there are differences between the two you can keep all of that info sorted.



                                      

Under the Firearm tab there is also an option for accessories so you know what holsters, mags, and lights you have with the firearm.  I know, for myself, I have multiple magazines for each firearm that accepts magazines, and several different holsters that I use.  This is just a nice way to keep track of all of the gear that you have for that specific firearm.  If you end up selling it later on down the road, you will already have a list of what gear you have that can be sold with it.



The next tab I believe would be great for FFL's and private collectors - it is the Pictures tab.  I can understand how, in a large inventory of firearms, it can be easy to mix up which one is which when there are multiples of the same model that are available in different colors.  Having the option to add a picture of each specific firearm, and having it connected to all of the information you have already input into this database, in my opinion, would make it much easier to keep tabs on everything in your inventory.


The Purchase/Sold tab is another great option to have.  Honestly, I wish I had this program for all of the firearms that I have sold over the past couple of years.  It keeps a detailed record of the purchases and sales that you have made - ideal for dealers who have a large volume of sales every day.


Moving on the the Ammo tab, I was surprised to see how detailed the information for your current ammo supply could be.  It is really easy to add an ammo type, and when you do, information like brand, bullet weight, caliber, and other information can be input and then shown on the main screen of the ammo tab.  This is really cool because you can also input how much of each caliber, bullet weight, and brand that you have, which then gives you a running tally.  What's even better is that you can go in and highlight the specific round you used at the range that day and simply type in how many rounds you used, hit the subtract button, and your number is automatically updated for that round.



Also, for you reloaders out there, the ammo tab has a very cool option.  It gives you the ability to input all of the information for the rounds that you are currently loading, and designates your reloads with an asterisk so they are quickly identified.  The information that you can input includes, C.O.L., powder brand, powder weight, brand of bullet, and other options. This in my opinion, as a reloader, is a great tool to have because you can add notes for the rounds that you are reloading.



The Maintenance Tab is an option that would rarely ever be used by me, but I am sure that anyone who likes to keep a detailed record of cleanings, parts replacements, and other maintenance, this it would be a great way to record what you have done or have had done, and the cost of the maintenance.


As someone who typically scours the internet looking for the best deals before making a purchase (even though the current market there are very few to be found), I appreciate the fact that there is a Deals Tab. In the top section of the deals tab there is a running list directly from SlickGuns.com and then below has folders that contain addresses to many different firearms sites where you can usually find a good deal.  This is a great idea and is something that I am sure I will check a couple times a day.


Overall, I am really impressed with the MyGunDB program. It is very easy to navigate and quickly pickup on how to input information into it, and just as easily retrieve and modify the information that you have saved in the program. I believe that it would be great tool for FFL's and major collectors.  However, for guys like myself with a smaller collection, it is a bit overkill to have the whole program.  It's more than I need.  What would be awesome to see, would be an Ammo Database program for a smaller fee.  This is something that I know I would use quite a bit and it would help me keep much better tabs on where I am at with my current ammo supply.

Full registration for the program is $44.95 and Basic Registration is $24.95, both of which I believe are fair prices for a program that covers as much as it does and makes maintaining a record of everything you have much easier.

The difference between the levels of the program are as follows:
Full version has NO limits.
Free version is limited to 10 firearms
Basic only disables Ammo, Maintenance, and Holsters tabs, A&D reports, and allows 3 images per firearm


(There is a mobile app available for both the iPhone and Android.  I will be downloading the iPhone version in the near future; once I have a little time to mess around with it, I will be sure to post a review of it for any of you who may be interested.)

2 comments:

  1. Do you know what's the difference between full and basic registration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full version has NO limits.
      Free version is limited to 10 firearms
      Basic only disables Ammo, Maintenance, and Holsters tabs, A&D reports, and allows 3 images per firearm

      Delete