Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Evolution of my EDC

When I first started carrying concealed my EDC left a lot to be desired, it literally consisted of a gun and a holster. Sure I carried a pocket knife but it wasn't the best for EDC. I had never really taken the time to plan out what should be carried in my EDC, I just tossed a gun and knife on and thought I was good to go. 


However as time has gone by I have put more thought into what I should have on me at any given time. What I am allowed to carry at work is completely different than what I carry outside of work, and this is something everyone should take into consideration. 

On a typical day at work or outside of work there are 2 main things that you can find on my person. The first is a knife, something that is both useful for self defense as well as utility work. Which this recently has become the Boker Coye Ridgeback or the QTRMSTR B.A. Baracas, both are sturdy blades which are easy to quickly deploy. I have spent a decent amount of time with both of these knives figuring out which ways I can deploy them best and where on my body they conceal best while remaining easily accessible. 


The second item you will find is the Olight M10 Maverick flashlight that I recently purchased. For awhile I was carrying a flashlight that was given to me by my dad, and while it was a decent flashlight the size of it made it hard to carry in a pocket. The Olight M10 is small, lightweight, and has a pocket clip that keeps it readily accessible. 



At first I didn't carry a flashlight because my phone has one, however as I have read and studied more on self defense I realized that my phone would really only be useful to make an emergency call. Having a pocket flashlight that has a very bright light comes in handy in many different situations, from finding something I dropped outside, to clearing my house. It is important to have a light that you can trust and I have found the Olight to fit the bill for me.

Outside of work I carry my gun, lately I have switched between the Glock 19 and Glock 42 (which is in a very long review run). The 19 is being carried appendix in an Alpha Concealment Appendix IWB holster which is minimalistic and very comfortable. The 42 currently does not have a Kydex holster, instead it is being run in a DeSantis SofTuk holster while it waits on the PHLster holster that I recently ordered for it. 


When I first began carrying I didn't carry an extra magazine for the 19 because I figured since it holds 15 rounds that would be enough. However that mindset also changed as I studied more on self defense and also took the CFS class, what I have learned taught me that I should carry one or two spare magazines with me for the worst case scenario. Once spare magazines are available for the Glock 42 I will be picking up a few more to carry with me.

Some of the other items that have found their way into my EDC are the Bastion LLC battery back up, iPhone charging cable, and a small kit of bandages plus a few other small medical items. 



One of the biggest reasons I have decided to add the battery back up to my EDC is because my phone tends to drain it's battery about as fast as it charges sometimes. I would have loved it if I had the backup during SHOT Show when I was using my phone to take pictures, post updates, and text/call the people I was trying to meet up with and around noon my fully charged battery was down to 30%. I could only imagine how much it would suck if I was somewhere without phone access and my phone died, leaving me unable to use it in an emergency.

While this is not a comprehensive list of items that should be in an EDC kit, it is a list of the items that I have found to work best for me, and as I explained I have added items as time goes on. The most important thing is to know which items you will personally need, and have trained with. Also never forget that an EDC kit does not replace important things like situational awareness and common sense. While the goal is to be prepared for something bad, it is best to remain aware and keep yourself out of bad situations.

One more very important thing that I have learned, and I know it is something that is stressed over and over. Train with what you carry, wether you are training with your knife, stun gun, pepper spray, or firearm. Your skill is perishable, muscle memory will fade, and familiarity with an item will too. 

I am sure that my EDC will evolve more as time goes on, and I receive more training; but at this point I am comfortable in knowing that the items that I currently carry are items that I could use in a bad situation to give me an advantage and a chance to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment