Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Guard Dog "Halo" Flashlight

I realized that once we had moved to Oklahoma that I needed to get my hands on a good flashlight for those times that we lost power or a natural disaster happened (thankfully we haven't had an issue with this yet), so I started to look around for flashlights that would be up for the task. One of the first ones that I picked up was the Guard Dog "Halo" flashlight, it has 3 different brightness settings and 2 signal settings (S.O.S. and Strobe).

When I first got it I was somewhat impressed with how sturdy it was, but let down by the fact that they did not put much into the quality of finishing it or the care of the laser engraving of the label. Yes I know those are little things but the details always speak loudly to me.











The first time I turned it on I had the lights off in the house and I was very impressed with how bright the highest setting was, it lit up the entire room and if someone was standing on the business end of it their night vision would be gone for a good amount of time. The other 2 settings are also useful if you need the batteries to last for longer periods of time. The S.O.S. works very well, as does the strobe option.

I will say that the biggest complaints that I have with this flashlight and the biggest reason I only have it as an emergency backup to another light is because it uses proprietary batteries that can only be charged with the charger that is sent with the flashlight, and replacement batteries cost too much to make it worth using this flashlight as a go to light. I also have had issues with the light turning on or staying on, the click switch is very picky and if you knock the flashlight against something it either switches modes or turns off, this is very frustrating and quickly made this flashlight a no go for everyday use as a carry flashlight.

For now my search for a quality but affordable everyday carry flashlight will continue, and hopefully sooner or later I will find one or just break down and buy an Elzetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment