Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

RCBS Stuck Case Removal Kit

When you reload there is always that possibility of getting a case stuck inside the sizing die, could be for a number of reasons that it happens too. Most likely though it will be because there was not enough sizing lube on the case, which then it gets stuck and the lip of the casing breaks off in the shell holder. It sucks when it happens, and I can remember the first time it happened to me. I was on a roll getting .300BLK and bang the press handle slammed down and the case was still in the die. That is by far a very frustrating thing thing to happen, and as a friend of mine who reloads told me "It's not if you will get a case stuck, it's when will you get a case stuck." and I knew it would happen sooner or later. When it did I placed the order for the RCBS Stuck Case Removal Kit, which came pretty highly recommended by a few other loaders that I know.


The primer pocket has to be drilled out so you can run a tap through it and the drill bit they send in the kit works very well cutting through the brass, and the tap works perfect in my drill. The step after that is to take the spacer and the bolt. Threading the bolt down and against the spacer pulls the case out of the die, and once it is out the last thing to remove is the case expander from inside the case.




It is a very simple task to complete, but when you get a case stuck and you don't have a kit to remove it you are very quickly brought to a stand still. I suggest that every reloader have some sort of stuck case removal kit, because as I said before it's not if you get a case stuck, it's when you get a case stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment