Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sig Sauer P2022 Pre Range Review

I decided I would do a little pre range write up on the Sig Sauer P2022 that I picked up the middle of last week. A few weeks ago while I was at a gun show I had come across a dealer's table that mainly had Sig handguns with just a handful of other companies tossed in here and there. I was quickly drawn to the M11-A1 (P228) and the P226 (this was the first handgun I ever bought new), but since I was gun broke from buying all of my other toys I had to look to see what else there was within the price range that I could afford. I saw the P2022 and was surprised at the $549 price tag, partly because I thought it wasn't a bad price and partly because I had remembered seeing them for a lot less than that before the buying panic started. I picked it up and messed with it a bit and was very surprised to find that the typical quality that is known of Sig was still there despite being a polymer framed handgun, needless to say I quickly came to like the way the P2022 felt in my hands and was hoping that I would be able to find one a little more reasonably priced.

I know that my "gun guy" has been trying to get more handguns in stock and has been having a very hard time keeping them there when they finally arrived so when I checked his site and saw that there was a brand new P2022 in 9mm for $459, I knew that I was going to have to call first thing the next morning and put it on layaway until I could get down there to pick it up, otherwise it would have been gone within an hour of the shop opening. So I did just that, and I also set a Remington 870 18" Synthetic back also (more to come on that later), there was already someone looking at it when I let the shop know to set it aside and I am glad that I have a good enough reputation with them that they did just that. I went down a few days later and picked up both the Sig and the Remington and am currently waiting for the ground to dry up enough that I can make it out to the range and give them both a run out there.

As far as my initial thoughts on the Sig P2022 I will say that it is very closely related to the P226 even though it is a polymer frame, the way that it points is very natural and makes it feel like it is going to be a very accurate range gun. The trigger is heavy on the Double Action pull but it still feels controllable, and has a very crisp break. The single action is very very smooth with very little creep. Overall the controls are in very ergonomic positions and very easy to manipulate if your right handed. My biggest complaint is the fact that it only comes with 1 magazine, I like to have a minimum of 3 and for me to pick up 2 more I am looking at spending $95-$110 (depending on where I can find them) which this brings the overall price of the gun up.

Overall my initial thought on this gun is that it is built like a Sig, and the quality is there. Minus having only one mag the price is right. I am looking forward to running a couple hundred rounds down range this week and getting a better feel for the gun.















No comments:

Post a Comment