Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Some of My Glock Modifications Part 2

There are a few other modifications that have been done to my Glock 19, 2 of them are aesthetic and 2 are functional. 

I will start with the aesthetic modifications first.



I have been a fan of the Kryptek patterns ever since I first saw them when I was browsing around a few of the different gear websites, and I kept trying to figure out what I would put it on. So when I started messing around with the stippling and other modifications I figured I would go ahead and have the Typhon pattern done to my slide. 



In my opinion this is all about aesthetics, sure hydro dipping and clear coat adds another layer of wear protection to your slide. However if you really use your guns, and not just get them looking good and set them in the safe, the coating is going to get scratched. You can see the holster wear on the slide in the picture below, to me it's added character, to others they would probably want to get it repaired.


Removing the "black" from the barrel and giving it a polished look is said to serve for both aesthetics and function. I have read that by polishing up the barrel there is less felt recoil because the slide isn't dragging across the finish, I can't really say that I feel a difference but hey it sounds cool. 



I however did it because I like the look of the polished barrel with the Kryptek Typhon pattern, I think it looks pretty cool. I will say that one of the added benefits was after shooting 1K rounds it was really easy to tell when my barrel was clean.

Now this next modification can fall under both the aesthetic category and comfort/function category. Undercutting the trigger guard helps alleviate "Glock knuckle", if you aren't sure what that is you are either very fortunate or haven't shot your Glock enough. While my work does not look as professional as some of the others out there, the function is exactly what I need it to be. 




This was one of modifications that I went into knowing that taking too much off would completely screw up the whole frame, so I took my time removing material as slowly as I could and test fitting it to my hand often. It's not the prettiest job out there but it works great for me.

The last modification I will talk about is the sights. There are literally hundreds of choices out there for sights and that can make it difficult to find some that you like. Not only should you like the sights that you get but you should be able to use them.

There are a variety of factors that affect which sights you should get, some people's eyes are older than others so they would need sights that are easier to pick up. While others may not like their sights to have a whole lot going on and would prefer black on black. 

The one thing I will say is pick your sights based on what you like and if they work for You. 

I really liked the the Ameriglo Pro I Dots when I ran across them during my search. I had seen a few other reviews on them and liked what I was hearing, and after installing them on the Glock I liked them even more. 


(Sorry not the greatest pictures but iPhones don't do micro well.)


I am working on the review for these sights and hope to have it up soon, but don't take my word 100% for them until you have tried them out yourself.

The only other thing I have modified after all of this is the trigger, however that will require a whole other post as there have been quite a few things I have tried and changed. So make sure to check back for that post here in the future.


1 comment:

  1. Did you know that you can create short urls with Shortest and receive money for every visit to your short links.

    ReplyDelete