Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Glock 42 First Range Trip Thoughts

Today I took the Glock 42 out to the range for a quick session, although I wasn't able to get video due to the wind being strong enough to blow the tripod over I was able to get some decent trigger time. 

One of the biggest things I have been hearing from people is how Glock screwed up by making it a .380 and also making it the size it is (too big) for a .380, while I personally would have prefered it in a 9mm single stack the .380 is still a decent round.


Let me start off with this, for those who complain that it is too large for a .380 handgun there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to the size of a handgun. When you get so small like the Ruger LCP or the Kahr .380, you get to a point that the gun is no longer comfortable to shoot, and when a gun becomes uncomfortable to shoot you don't train with it. 

In my opinion the Glock 42 is the exact size that it needs to be, it disappears when I carry it appendix IWB and I myself hardly realize it's there. Sure it is a little big to be a pocket pistol, but I have to wonder if it would be practical to draw from your pocket anyways. 

I think the fact that Glock made it the size they did is great, as I said before it is very comfortable to both carry and shoot. I am confident I would have no issue taking a class with it (as long as I could find enough mags). 



This range trip I ran 107 rounds of ammo through it, 7 were PDX1 Self Defense rounds, 50 were PPU 95gr FMJ, and 50 were Remington 95gr FMJ. There were no issues with feeding or firing, the only issue I ran into was the slide not locking back on empty. While it wouldn't lock back on empty with both hands it would lock back with one hand, so I'm thinking it's an issue with hand placement and I will need to work on that.

The 42 was an absolute pleasure to shoot and I was fairly accurate with it also. With the gun being the size it is, it will take me another trip to get it zeroed in. I am looking forward to running quite a few hundred rounds through this gun, and hopefully this next trip out I can actually get some video. 

Make sure to subscribe to the email list to receive the latest updates from the blog, there will be plenty going up over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment